Christian Deeper Learning Conference
Christian Deeper Learning 2020 Conference
Thursday, Feb 27, 2020, 7:00 AM –Friday, Feb 28, 2020, 4:00 PM MST
Wednesday, February 26
- 7:00 – 8:00 Pre-conference registration and packet pick up
- 8:00 Pre-Conference Sessions begin
- 3:00 – 5:00 Denver Christian open to pick up registration info
- 3:30 Design It finishes
- 4:00 Observe It finishes
- 5:00 Experience It finishes
- 5:30 – 6:00 Tour of Denver Christian for presenters
- 6:00 – 7:00 Dinner for Committee
- 7:00 – 8:00 Connecting to the Source with Joanna Levy and Carey Franklin
Thursday, February 27
- 7:00 – 8:30 Registration/Arrival/Greeting
- 8:30 – 8:45 Welcome & Worship
- 8:45 – 9:00 Invitation to the Deeper Learning Story
- 9:00 – 10:00 Keynote
- 10:00 – 10:40 Crew Time
- 10:40 – 11:00 Break
- 11:00 – 12:30 Workshop 1; Intensive 1 – part A
- 12:30 – 1:30 Lunch
- 1:30 – 3:00 Workshop 2; Intensive 1 – part B
- 3:00 – 3:15 Break
- 3:15 – 4:00 Crew Time
- Evening event
Friday, February 28
- 8:00 Worship
- 8:10 – 8:25 Welcome
- 8:30 – 9:00 Student Presentation
- 9:00 – 9:30 Presentation Q&A
- 9:30 – 10:00 Crew Time
- 10:00 – 10:20 Break
- 10:30 – 12:00 Workshop 3; Intensive 2 – part A
- 12:00 – 1:00 Lunch
- 1:00 – 2:30 Workshop 4; Intensive 2 – part B
- 2:30 – 2:50 Break
- 2:50 – 3:50 Collaborative troubleshooting: Addressing the “hows” of Deeper Learning implementation
- 4:00 – 4:30 Closing Circle
- Evening event
With Steven Levy & Krista Wallace
The only way to know God is to experience God. We might say the same for deeper learning. The only way to really know it is to experience it. It will be very difficult to bring deeper learning to your students if you haven’t experienced it yourself. This pre-conference session will offer a slice of deeper learning that will immerse the learner in an experience that integrates academic content, literacy skills, engaging instruction, formative assessment and spiritual formation. You will experience the kind of learning you will want to bring to your students. Everyone who enrolls in this deeper learning slice should also enroll in the first session, “Learning from the Slice” on Thursday morning to debrief the experience and discuss application in the classroom.
Our session will run from 8 A.M. to 5 P.M. and includes lunch.
With Tim Van Soelen and Deb Roberts
How does a school become a Deeper Learning school? Get an inside view of a Deeper Learning School in the Denver area. See how this school implements deeper learning in its school culture, in the classroom, and in its professional development. You’ll get to visit classrooms and debrief with school leadership. You’ll leave inspired with ideas for what your school can do!
Our session will run from 8 A.M. to 4 P.M. and includes lunch.
With Darryl DeBoer
Our current working definition of Deeper Learning in Christian education, People of God’s story engaged in real work that forms self and shapes the world, provides the context for this pre-conference session. As an active participant in God’s story, come join others as you will be invited, nurtured and empowered to design deeper learning experiences of‘real work that meets a real need for real people.’ We will begin our day engaging with exemplars of deeper learning, and, using deeper learning design tools, transition to designing our own deeper learning experiences that we can bring back to the classrooms of our schools. This session will equip participants with deeper learning practices/tools that emphasize self-assessment and reflection, design, curiosity, peer feedback, and joy-filled collaboration. A day to experience real work that will form you and shape your classroom!
Our session will run from 8 A.M. to 3:30 P.M. and includes lunch.